Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology And Education (HCMUTE) is the first university in Vietnam educating and training technical teachers for the whole country. Chronologically, HCMUTE has been renamed several times due to integration with other schools or its own promotion. The university evolved from the Board of Technical Education, first founded on October 5th 1962, then renamed Nguyen Truong To Center for Technical Education in Thu Duc in September 1972, and later upgraded to Thu Duc College of Education in 1974. On October 27th 1976, the SRV Prime Minister issued a decision to establish Thu Duc University of Technical Education on the basis of Thu Duc College of Education. This was amalgamated with Thu Duc Industrial Vocational School in 1984 and further merged with Technical Teacher Training School No.5 in 1991 to become the present Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology And Education. In 1995, the university incorporated with National University Ho Chi Minh City as an informal member. In 2000, HCMUTE became a member under supervision of Ministry of Education and Training of Vietnam (MoET).
- October 5th 1962: Founded as Board of Technical Education founded with five disciplines
- 1972: Renamed as Nguyen Truong To Center for Technical Education in Thu Duc
- 1974: Upgraded to Thu Duc College of Education
- October 27th 1976: Promoted to Thu Duc University of Technical Education
- 1984: Thu Duc Industrial Vocational School amalgamated with Thu Duc University of Technical Education
- 1991: Technical Teacher Training School No. 5 amalgamated with Thu Duc University of Technical Education
- 1992: First post graduate program started
- 1995: Became non-official member of Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City
- 2000: Separated from Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City
- November 2011: The Center Building inaugurated
- March 2012: 3 PhD programs started
- October 2014: Renamed as Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology And Education
During its more than 50 years of development, HCMUTE has been granted many governmental awards for excellent performance, such as an Independence Decoration - Second Class (2012), Independence Decoration -Third Class (2007), a Labor Decoration -First Class (2001), a Labor Decoration -Second Class (1996), a Labor Decoration - Third Class (1985) by the SRV President, an Emulation Flag of the Government (2008), an Emulation Flag of the MoET (2009), Emulation Flag of Ho Chi Minh City People Committee (2012), many other Certificates of Merit and so on.